Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 1 - Clear

I think that many people would benefit from this section. The importance of netiquette in this age of communicating via email and text is great. It is difficult to gauge an person emotion or tone since you can not hear or see them. I think that the use of emoticons is helpful but I would only use them for more laxed communications. Obviously, I would not send our CFO a message with emoticons.

I currently work in FIU and part of my job is to deal with the HR issues of all departments that fall under the CFO. I do most of my work via email for many reasons. The most important is to be covered if anything happens. During these communications I need to be clear and concise. I need to convey my tone politely.

One of the rules is that a person should try to be courteous and respectful. I not sure if its my age or that I was brought up differently but this to me is just common knowledge and should be applied at all times.

It is very irritating to receive emails from other staff members either in all caps or all smalls. In general writing in all capital letters is considered SHOUTING and is very rude. (Go back to Golden Rule - always be polite and courteous). Another peeve is when they use exclamation points for EVERY sentence.

We should always remember that the words and content we write are a representation of ourselves and that what we post on the Internet is very public and can be seen by anyone including future employers, the government and even criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment