Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 5 - Muddy


Totally confused. I thought that I would read this chapter and have a better understanding on memory. This is not the case. Recently I have been having problems with my laptop and everyone keeps telling me that I need more memory and that this will add speed to it. So I diligently read the chapter and paid extra attention to the memory section.
I am clear on the memory size but when I got to memory type is when I became truly MUDDY.
RAM is volatile memory which means that when I turn off my computer I lose the contents. ROM on the other hand is nonvolatile and is permanent. This concept of volatile and losing the contents is murky for me. I don't understand why if I buy more RAM my computer will run quicker. Is it because RAM is the memory used to run the software on my computer and if I had more RAM this would allow the laptop to process the information at a higher speed? Totally dazed and confused!!
Searching online I see that its quite easy to purchase the RAM and actually they say its easy to install it. (I have my doubts about that!!! I think I will just have someone from our IT department do it for me. Note this is an example of why so many people agree with the title of my blog.) The site that I went to http://www.memorystock.com/ was very easy to use. I liked that I was able to pick my specific Dell and hopefully get the appropriate RAM for my computer. In the end I think that I will just ask one of the guys in IT take a look at it and let me know what to purchase; this going through the Internet and looking for something that baffles me is too complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment